This dish is mostly meant to garnish Italian dishes like Lasagna, but it may garnish other dishes like pitas and tortillas, or make a nice addition on top of a sauce, spread, or sandwich, too. It has a strong garlic flavor, so just use a little.
- 1/8-1/6 cup water
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- basil leaves
- salt (optional)
- Purée together the ingredients in a blender. If using crushed basil leaves instead of whole, you can add them to the pan later instead.
- Bring items to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle with salt (optional).
- Continue cooking on medium or low to medium heat for about 2-5 minutes or until sauce thickens/becomes thick.
- When sauce is thick, let stand for about 5-10 minutes.
Makes around 2-4 tablespoons, depending on size of the garlic cloves. The bigger the garlic cloves, the more you will have. You could make double, triple, or bigger batches if you need more.
I used this pesto sauce to decorate/garnish the tops of my lasagna rolls. Of course, it adds a nice flavor, too.