A delicious substitute to cottage cheese. It can also replace ricotta cheese in recipes.
- 1 ½ – 2 cup(s) mashed tofu (Mash 1 block firm tofu. The block should be at least 12-16 oz.)
- 2-4 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- If tofu is in large or medium chunks, mash a little more.
- Thoroughly mash in lemon juice, 1 tsp at a time. Taste after the first 2 teaspoons. Once you can taste the lemon juice, you shouldn’t need much more.
- Mash in olive oil, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Mash in salt, 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Taste after the first 1/4. Once you can taste the salt, you should have enough. If you need a little more, lightly sprinkle and taste again. Do not taste in teaspoon or tablespoonfuls, or you will run out soon, but taste a little chunk at a time.
- Dash on Italian seasoning and mash well again.
- By the time you are done, the chunks should be fine/very small (like California style cottage cheese, or actual ricotta cheese.)
Makes about 1 1/2 – 2 cup(s).
This tofu cheese can be used in many recipes in place of ricotta, cottage, and even mozzarella cheese. It can be used in lasagna, baked pasta dishes such as baked spaghetti or ziti, on pizza, in homemade ravioli or dumplings, in gnocchi, and many other possibilities.