Okay, so really, you can make this many different ways. You can toast the bread and then put on the cheese. You can microwave the cheese with the bread on top. You can warm the bread in an oven or toaster oven with the cheese on top. You can grill the bread like a grilled cheese and then squeeze in the sausage. There’s more ways, too. I’ve tried it those ways, and it’s also delicious. But, here’s how I like it best. By the way, I think it’s best with homemade bread, cut in thick slices.
- 2 slices of bread
- oil (I recommend 100% olive oil)
- 1 vegan or vegetarian sausage patty
- 1-2 slices or 1-2 handfuls shredded non-dairy/vegan cheese (I recommend cheddar flavor) (I recommend daiya.)
- Pour a little oil in a frying pan.
- Place one slice of bread and sausage patty beside each other in the oil.
- Place cheese on bread.
- Top the cheese with the other slice of bread.
- If using homemade bread, cover.
- Fry on medium heat until the bottom piece of bread and sausage patty are golden brown.
- Fry until other side of sausage patty and other slice of bread are golden brown. This may not take as long as the first side now that the pan has had more time to heat.
- Remove from pan. Cheese should also be melted.
- Open the sandwich and place the sausage patty inside.
You could also cook both slices of bread at once with cheese on each slice, instead of frying them together. I recommend definitely covering the pan if you do that, to lock in heat to melt the cheese.