- 1 standard sized block of firm tofu, rinsed, drained, and mashed into large crumbles/chunks or diced (usually they are around 1 lb, give or take a few oz
- 3 small sweet peppers sliced or 1 bell pepper diced (Green, red, yellow, or orange are all fine. I like to use more than one color.)
- 1/4-1/2 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 handfuls of daiya cheddar cheese shreds or about 1/2 cup of other vegan cheese, shredded (or torn if shredding is not possible, such as if it comes in slices)
- Pour just enough oil into the pan to lightly cover the bottom.
- Combine tofu, onions, and peppers, in the frying pan.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions soften and tofu may turn golden brown on some sides (or it may not, but it should be heated through). Cover to lock in moisture and reduce the risk of burning (optional).
- Dash on turmeric (for color) and salt (to taste).
- Mix well and cook another 2-5 minutes, covered or uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese and let cook until melted. You can reduce heat if your food is already warm enough and looks like it may burn.
- Remove from heat and serve.
This made just enough for me, may serve 2.