I was just thinking of some foods that I made in the dorm at school. Thinking about frying tomatoes and leftover lunch meat got me thinking about what I did with some crackers that my friend sent me in a lovely care package. I liked to eat them with peanut butter. These were Carr’s whole wheat crackers, but this snack was inspired by my ste-grandmother (my stepmother’s mother) who had doctored up some saltines with different herbs and seasonings. They were delicious. You can use any type of cracker, but I recommend the healthiest choice you can find, preferably something whole wheat or whole grain.
- About 10 large crackers, or 2-3 cups of smaller crackers.
- About 1/4 cup 100% extra virgin olive oil, You may need a little more or less, don’t be afraid to add more.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- a pinch of rosemary (optional)
- a pinch or two of salt
- Place crackers in a bag or container that has a lid and is large enough to handle shaking.
- Dash seasonings into the oil, add the rosemary (if using) and salt. Stir.
- Pour mixture over crackers.
- Seal bag/container and shake well until oil and seasoning mix is thoroughly and evenly distributed over crackers.
These can be left out on the counter for a few days, but it’s more safe to keep them in the fridge. I really like this snack.