This makes 6 mini pizza pockets, about 3 regular sized pizza pockets. My friend got the mini pita breads from Wegmans. Most states don’t have Wegmans and their mini pitas, but you can use regular sized pitas.
I actually cut the pitas open and made flat mini pizzas for my friend, but I’ve doubled the recipe for the ones I made for myself (which has guesstimated measurements, as usual) to make 6.
- 6 mini pitas or 3 regular pitas
- 1 cup of pizza, spaghetti, or other marinara/tomato sauce
- 1/2-1 cup vegan/non-dairy cheese (can be shredded cheese, such as daiya, sliced cheese torn into pieces, or cashew cheese or similar cheese) (If none are available, you could use more sauce instead of cheese.)
You can put whatever toppings you would like in pizza, but here’s what we used.
- 1 thick slice of peeled onion (whole slice, with all rings), diced small (we used red onion, but any should do)
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (we used canned, but I’d also recommend baby bellas or those white mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup sliced or diced sweet or bell peppers
- a handful of sliced black olives
- (Optional) 1/4 cup vegan/vegetarian sausage crumbles or sliced vegan/vegetarian sausage/pepperoni
There are other ways to make it, but this is the best way that I’ve found.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Cut open pitas around the edge to make a slit about 2- 2 1/2 inches long.
- Stuff as full as possible, evenly distributing the mixture in the bowl.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes.