Vegan omelets, also known as chick pea pancakes.
You can also remove the vegetables from the pan and make thinner omelets with 1/2 cup of flour for each omelet instead of 2/3. This recipe makes 1 omelet.
- 2/3 cup chick pea flour
- water (a little less than 2/3 cup, follow instructions though, instead of measuring)
- 1/4 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 small sweet peppers or 1/4 bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 olives, sliced (a small handful of sliced olives)
- 1-2 Tbsp oil
- (Optional) 1 slice of vegan/non-dairy cheese or about 1/4-1/2 cup cashew cheese
- (Optional) You can add other vegetables that you like, as well as vegan/vegetarian artificial bacon bits and/or vegan/vegetarian sausage crumbles
- Pour 1 tablespoonful of oil into a small frying pan.
- Add vegetables.
- Saute, covered, on medium or between low and medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and may begin to brown.
- If the pan is becoming dry or has dried out, add another tablespoon of oil.
- Take the chick pea flour in a separate mixing container, bowl, cup, etc. Add enough water to make a thick batter. You want the batter thick. Start with about 1/3 cup, then add a little more as necessary, if necessary. If batter is too thin, it may not cook well, if at all. If it doesn’t appear to be cooking, and the batter is thin, mix in more flour.
- Stir vegetables.
- Pour batter over vegetables.
- Cook, uncovered, on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until omelet has cooked on bottom side and begins to solidify and starts to look like a pancake.
- Flip. Top with vegan/cashew cheese (if using) and cook another 5-10 minutes, until the omelet is cooked through. When finished, it should hold together like a pancake/omelet.