For every 2 quesadillas…
- 4 6 inch tortilla shells (vegan, recommended)
- 6 vegan (recommended) or vegetarian chicken nuggets or 2 patties (I recommend Quorn or Boca.)
- 4-6 mushrooms, washed and sliced (or about 1 cup sliced mushrooms)
- 1/4 medium or large onion or 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2-1 cup rinsed and sliced broccoli
- 1/2 cup cashew cheese or cashew gravy (you can find recipes on this site, or other places online) (you can also use shredded daiya cheddar or mozzarella)
- 1 small (Roma) tomato or 1/2 large tomato, diced (optional)
- Saute vegetables (mushroom, onion, broccoli) in a little bit of oi on between low and medium to medium heat (or higher heat if your stove top does not heat well), covered, stirring occasionally. About 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking in step 1, bake, microwave, or pan-fry chicken nuggets/chicken patties. I heated mine in a toaster oven, toasting them on dark twice on each side. Baking at 350 for about 10-15 minute should also work, and microwaving as package directs should work also (Although I recommend baked or toasted in a toaster oven if one is available. I like to spread a little oil on each side, first. They brown and crisp nicely.)
- While step 1 and step 2 is taking place, prepare the tortillas by pouring about 1/2-1 tsp on one tortilla. Rub that tortilla together with another to spread the oil on both tortillas, then rub the other two tortillas on the oiled tortillas, one on each one, to evenly distribute all the oil.
- Dice vegan/vegetarian chicken when it is cooked through and (preferably) brown and crispy.
- When vegetables and vegan/vegetarian “chicken” are done, remove from the frying pan. You can remove vegetables before the “chicken” is done if they look like they may burn. You may also lower the heat if necessary.
- Lay down one or two tortillas (depending on the size of the pan), oil side down, on the/a frying pan or griddle.
- Divide cashew cheese, vegetables, and vegan/vegetarian “chicken” in half.
- Spread a little of the cashew cheese on each tortilla that is in the frying pan or on the griddle.
- Add the half (that you divided) of the vegetables and vegan/vegetarian “chicken” to each tortilla that is down.
- Top with remaining cashew cheese. Sprinkle on a little salt if desired (taste cashew cheese first)
- Top each with one of the other two tortillas, oil side up. Sprinkle on a little salt.
- Grill on medium or between medium and high heat until bottom tortilla(s) turn golden brown and crispy. Should take about 2-5 minutes if you use the pan that is already hot from cooking the vegetables.
- Flip (may be a little messy and you may have to put the filling back into the quesadilla).
- Cook another 2-3 minutes or until tortilla is brown and crispy. (Both should be cooked this way, just in case there is any confusion.)
- Add diced tomatoes inside quesadilla, or garnish the top of the quesadilla with tomatoes. (optional)