It’s time I give my dear mother some credit. I think I get some of my creativity in cooking from her. When we were young, she would cook my siblings and I all kinds of delicious dishes, some of which were vegetarian. The vegetarian ones were especially unique, and I haven’t found anything like them since. Some of my favorites were her cottage cheese loaf, green quiche (it had broccoli in it, if I remember correctly, and was delicious), chili (made with spaghetti sauce), no-bake peanut butter and fruit pie (which I need to get fruit for, so I can make one of those to share with you all), and, my top favorite that I have made since, green bean casserole (Or was that her and my brother’s recipe? I think I remember my brother making it, too, but I could be mistaken.).
But, the food wasn’t necessarily vegan, except maybe the peanut butter and fruit pie, especially the green bean casserole (because of the cream of mushroom soup), so I made a vegan and gluten-free cream of mushroom soup, so that I could have this delicious casserole again.
- 6 cups or 1 whole recipe of cream of mushroom soup
- 3-14 14 oz cans of french style/french cut green beans, drained and rinsed
- about 1 10 oz bag of potato chips
- nonstick cooking spray (for greasing pan)
- Preheat oven to 400-425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a casserole, cake, or other baking pan (At least 11 by 7 inches, but I think mine was bigger. If you are using a smaller pan, you may need more than one.). Grease the whole inside of the pan(s).
- Spread a thin layer of cream of mushroom soup.
- Layer green beans (in a large pan, this is one or two cans, in smaller pans, it may only be one or 1/2 of a can, depending on the size of the pan that you use).
- Layer chips.
- Spread or pour on some cream of mushroom soup (save some for at least one more layer if using a large pan, more layers if using a small pan).
- Layer green beans.
- Layer cream of mushroom soup.
- Layer chips for the crust. If you need more layers in between, keep in mind that it’s basically chips, cream of mushroom soup, green beans, chips, cream of mushroom soup, green beans, etc, with cream of mushroom soup being between the green beans and chips on the last layer, because the chips also will be the crust.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Cut 2 or 3 slits in the foil to ventilate the steam.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the casserole is bubbly.
- Uncover and bake another 15-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool about 10-15 minutes before serving.
This is gluten free and vegan (so long as you make sure your chips are vegan). If you are only vegetarian, or not even vegetarian, and just looking for a green bean casserole, you can use regular, canned condensed cream of mushroom soup. If you have your own homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe, you can use that, too.
This is perfect for a family dinner, fellowship dinner (potluck), parties, or for a holiday side dish.