You could also use a different type of bread. It doesn’t have to be a pita, but if you do use a different type of bread, then it won’t be a pita, but will instead most likely be defined by whatever other type of bread you choose to use.
This makes 1 whole pita, split in half (2 sandwiches).
- 1 pita, cut in half (toasted if desired, but not required)
- 1 ripe (but not overripe) avocado
- salt (I used sea salt.)
- 2-4 slices of tomato
- thin onion slices
- around 1-2 Tbsp hummus (recommended: roasted red pepper) per pita half. (I made one half of a pita with each, and both were delicious.)
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and scrape the fruit out of the peel. You can slice the avocado as desired, or mash it.
- Sprinkle salt on avocado.
- Carefully open the pita halves and spread on hummus or other desired spread.
- Stuff in avocado, tomato, and onion (in any desired order).
- Eat carefully.