For each sandwich…
- 2 slices of bread (you could also use a bun, pita, or some sturdy greens if you are going bread-free)
- 1 falafel patty (or 2-4 falafels, depending on the size) or vegan veggie burger or vegan chicken patty
- 1 ripe avocado
- salt (I used sea salt)
- 1-2 slice(s) tomato
- 2-4 slices romaine (or other) lettuce
- sliced onion (raw or sautéed) (I sauté my onions.)
- Optional: Toast bread.
- Cook veggie burger (I fried mine on both sides for a few minutes until brown and crispy, using a cast-iron frying pan, with the onions that I was sautéing in oil on the side, but you can also bake, microwave, or grill your burger patty. If yours is a leftover falafel and you like them cold, you can try that, too.
- While veggie burger is cooking, cut avocado in half and remove pit.
- Scoop out avocado and spread (1/2 per slice of bread) onto your bread.
- Sprinkle avocado with salt.
- Add tomato, lettuce, onion, and burger. I recommend dividing your lettuce leaves in half and putting some on top of the burger and some below the burger (for example: if using 2 leaves, one on top and one below, 2 on top and 2 below if using 4).
- Close sandwich and enjoy.
If using a lettuce or other green wrap, I would recommend mashing the avocado into a guacamole first, and putting it either directly on the leaf/leaves or on the burger, depending on how strong your leaves are. You may not need to add extra lettuce if using the lettuce or other greens as a bun.