So, um, yeah…the story behind this…I didn’t have much in my fridge or cupboards for eating, so I went and bought some canned beans and some veggie dogs. Then, I came down with something. Being sick, I didn’t go to the commissary (where I get most of my produce), even though I ran out of onions. When I got to feeling better, I went to the vegetable stand not far down the road and purchased some peppers that I think are banana peppers (or something similar). They’re not spicy, but their seeds might be. I kind of wanted to make something more like the mock tuna salad, but I mixed up this sandwich spread with what I had, and added the onion later after I had another chance to go to the commissary. It may be strange, but it turned out to be delicious.
Makes 5-7 sandwiches, depending on thickness of the spread and size of the bread.
- 1 can of chick peas/garbanzo beans (will try to come back with the exact size later)
- 2-3 veggie dogs (vegetarian hot dogs)
- 2 fresh banana peppers (or 1 bell pepper)
- 1/2 medium or 1 small onion
- around 1/4 cup vegan mayo (recommended: homemade, vinegar-free vegan mayo)
- salt (I used sea salt.)
- paprika (optional – I did not have this, but would have used it if I had.)
- On the stove top, bring water to a boil and add veggie dogs. Cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse chick peas.
- Rinse pepper(s). Remove seeds and stem and slice or dice the pepper(s).
- Peel and chop onion.
- Mash chick peas.
- Combine all ingredients. Sprinkle or dash on seasonings (to taste).